Sunday, October 14, 2007

My God

"For nothing is impossible with God."
Luke 1:37

I have begun reading a book called "take a closer look: for women" that has really brought me to a better understanding of how to interpret the Bible and how I can really become a woman of Christ. It is an excellent tool for me to use as I am trying to learn how to make myself better able to understand God's word, and to apply it to my life.

In the second "chapter" the book takes a look at Mary, and her trust in God's promises. It has this incredible quote that I try and remember to say, "I am your daughter who longs to serve you. I trust your words. Do your work, for I have confidence that it is good." (If someone could help me to find that verse, or tell me even if it is a verse haha...it doesn't reference it in this book :( But i still like it...)

Two verses stuck out to me in this "chapter", Luke 1:37 and Luke 18:27. I decided to write down Luke 1:37 because it is easy to remember and it is a helpful reminder to me. But Luke 18:27 says, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." How awesome to think that we have a good with limitless possibilities!! It makes me think that if man can come up with these insane inventions like the little iPod, computers, banana splits, and mint oreo blizzards..then imagine what God can come up with!!!!!! (sigh) i could day dream about it all day long....




Luke 1:37 I decided to write down on a post-it note so that I wouldn't forget God's impossibilities. If I am ever in doubt about anything, I always have that bright pink post-it note sitting on my shelf to remind me that nothing is impossible. The world may have this view of possibilities and impossibilities but to God, it is all the same.

1 comment:

Jan Kern said...

Hi!

I think it was a link on my blog stats page that sent me to your site. (Last night's foggy, overworked brain prevented me from being absolutely sure this morning.)

Hope you don't mind a comment from the author of Take A Closer Look for Women.

You were wondering where the daughter dialog quote in the second devotion comes from.

This is my rephrasing of Mary's words of trust in Luke 1:38 where she says, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

I fully believe Mary understood the depth of her intimate relationship to God, and though what was happening seemed impossible, she had full confidence that all was well.

As a little more background, the editors and creators of the idea for Take A Closer Look asked that I rephrase any dialog within my retelling of the stories. I would research culture, history, and the Greek or Hebrew language behind the verse before I came up my words for what someone said. I wanted those to be a close as possible in meaning and intent. I pray they are.

So, as you read on, you'll find other dialog where I did the same thing.

Hope that helps!

BTW, I love your comment about man's insane inventions and imagining what God can come up with. Your examples are great!

Jan